"Hello! I'm Amanda White. A mom to Lydia and Asa; wife to Les. I also blog at ohAmanda. And that about sums up my life!
But before all that, I lived and breathed children’s ministry. I was on puppet and drama teams in Middle and High School, I was a CILT graduate in a camping ministry, I interned at a premiere Children’s Ministry in Tulsa, my husband and I were special guest speakers at kids camps and churches during college. Later we helped start a church in Celebration, FL then moved to Birmingham, AL to be the elementary pastors at a mega-church there.
But after becoming a mother (and moving back home to Atlanta), I moved my children’s ministry skills onto my children. I like making every day activities point to God and His laws and love. And I also pop M&Ms and dreams of Disney World in my spare time."
About Truth in the Tinsel
"I really believe December is one of best times to impress God’s Word on your kids’ hearts. Our whole country turns its attention to Christmas–stores are playing songs of worship to the newborn king, movies are playing on cable that show the real meaning of Christmas and people even decorate their yard with Bible characters!
I try to leverage this Jesus-centered month by helping my kids meditate on and learn the real story of Jesus’ birth. That’s how this ebook was born. Out of a daily advent-ure with my daughter when she was only 1 year old.
The Truth in the Tinsel ebook will lead you and your children on your own experience through the Christmas Story. You’ll take a few minutes each day in reading the Christmas Story directly from the Bible, making a fun ornament craft and talking about it together."
Amanda #2 here, haha! First - THANK YOU Amanda for sponsoring one of our Christmas giveaways this season. I just wanted to share what a blessing Truth in the Tinsel is to our family. We move a lot and when we lived in Texas last year we packed as much as we could into our van and made our trip South...but there wasn't any room for Christmas ornaments. So! When I searched online for some DIY ideas and saw Amanda's Advent ebook I was ecstatic!!!
I could not pass up an Advent calendar that would fill our Christmas tree with child crafted ornaments and memories of our kids learning THE gift of salvation through Jesus.
My favorite things about Truth in the Tinsel:
- We dig right into God's Word. Having our kids watch us open up the Bible and read directly from it is a visual that I encourage.
- There's no pressure! If you miss a day (or several) just pick up on that day's specific reading and ornament.
- I'm a sucker for homemade ornaments by children. Growing up we always had one tree filled with homemade ornaments that had too much glitter, crooked googly eyes, and grade school pictures framed with popsicle sticks... it's the meaning of Christmas expressed through children's fingers. Priceless!
- The conversations that stem from the Christmas story while making the ornaments.
- SUPER affordable and we had most of the craft items at home already. We did make an extra run to Hobby Lobby for some gems and sparkly glue but all together very reasonable.
- The ornaments are a visual reminder of the Christmas story. When our kids look intently at our tree they review and remember the ornaments meaning.
- It ALL points to Jesus! When we had visitors I heard my daughter telling the Christmas story while showing our friends the ornaments we made.
It's sharing time :) What is your favorite childhood memory from Christmas? Share a story from when you were a child or about your own children (grand-children). Make us laugh or go "awwww" please!
Two giveaway winners will be announced this Friday!
If you're not a winner - don't fret - OhAmanda! has graciously offered a special discount just for HHH readers that I will share on Friday too. Yay!